Emotion-Focused Therapy for Treating Depression?
Emotion-Focused therapy refers to a therapeutic approach based on the notion that emotions are the key to identification.
Experts at platforms like The Human Condition suggest that emotions can guide decision-making and individual choices. This type of therapy assumes that avoiding unpleasant emotions or lacking emotional awareness is harmful.
It may render you unable to utilize the critical info that is provided by emotions.
What is Emotion-Focused Therapy?
The EFT or Emotion-Focused Therapy is based on the firm conviction that sentiments are strongly related to identity, as said earlier.
Now emotions guide in making decisions and defining preferences daily. EFT assumes that:
- Avoiding the emotions can lead to life’s many adverse outcomes
- Lacking emotional awareness is harmful
- Moreover, avoiding making decisions or ignoring the preferences can alter the ability for processing emotions later on
The therapist trained in EFT can assist in gaining emotional awareness and understand them. The professionals can offer coping strategies to face and manage emotions.
Emotions Focused Therapy Techniques
During the EFT session, you and your therapist have an equal share in the outcome of the therapy. Instead of telling you what they understand from your experiences, your collaboration guides in the interpretation of your emotions.
During the sessions, the therapist will:
- Attend to what you say compassionately
- Refrain from passing judgment on the feelings
- Use the reflective or contemplative procedure to ask questions
The therapist will assist you to:
- Allow your emotions to flow freely without any restrictions
- Regulate the emotions so that they do not overwhelm you
- Understand the reason behind your emotions
- Describe how you feel in detail
Why Use Emotion-Focused Therapy for Treating Depression?
If you are struggling with depression, there can be a tendency in your day-to-day life to avoid certain situations. This can lower your mood and can send you into a downward spiral further.
According to experts at digital platforms like The Human Condition, EFT assists you in confronting situations with an empowering attitude.
There are a couple of foundational skills vital for the EFT outcomes:
- You can achieve your emotions by enhancing your acceptance and awareness of your feelings.
- You can transform your feelings or emotions into beneficial info as a method to prevent negative outcomes.
Every person moves at their speed through the EFT or Emotion-Focused Therapy. Through these sessions, you will learn to –
- Identify your feelings as helpful or unhelpful.
- Change them once you understand where the unhelpful emotions emerge from
- Use the emotions for guiding your actions
- Establish the internal monologue to help identify and overcome the negative thoughts
- Develop the healthy coping strategies
Effect of Emotion-Focused Therapy on Depression
EFT is considered to be a success once you achieve the following goals –
- Enhance awareness of your feelings and emotional experience as a whole
- Improve the coping strategies and emotional regulation
While EFT or Emotion Focused Therapy cannot cure depression, it can improve the condition by providing tools to overcome the symptoms that can depress you or lead to worse feelings. You should look up more information on trusted resources and consult the experts before selecting the right treatment plan.
Disclaimer: This article is mainly for information purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice, diagnosis, medical treatment, or therapy. Never disregard professional psychological or medical advice nor delay in seeking professional advice or treatment because of something you have read in this article.